DRESS CODE GUIDELINES
Students in the fundamental schools are expected to exercise good judgment and dress in a responsible manner. All clothing must be worn in the manner in which it was designed to be worn. All dress and grooming rules will be enforced. Students who come to school wearing inappropriate attire may be sent to the office to call a parent/guardian for acceptable clothing and will receive a Dress Code Violation. On the third violation, a Warning/Detention Notice will be given and for each additional dress code violation thereafter. After three dress code Warning/Detention Notices in an infraction period, the student will be referred to the Intervention and Appeals Committee (IAC).
We also expect parents to use good judgment when volunteering in and/or visiting the school, and dress in a manner consistent with the student dress code.
Any exception to the dress code policies must be approved by the school administration. Administration shall be the final judge as to the neatness and cleanliness of wearing apparel and whether or not such apparel is appropriate, disruptive, distracting, or in violation of health and safety rules.
Students are expected to dress appropriately to reflect pride in one’s self and school, to avoid social fads, and disruptions to the school learning environment.
- Khaki, Black, Grey, or Navy traditional “chino” style uniformshorts, elastic, drawstring, or button, fitted at the natural waistline and worn no lower than the bottom of the knee or higher than three inches above the knee
- Khaki, Black, Grey, or Navy traditional “chino” style uniformpants, elastic, drawstring, or button, fitted at the natural waistline that are full-length long pants (not capris), or pants that gather at the ankle, such as jogger style (not sweatpants).
- Solid Khaki, Black, Grey, or Navyuniform skirt or dress, the length worn no higher than three inches above the knee front and back (shorts should be worn under if covered by skirt or dress).
- Solid Tights/Leggings may only be worn under a dress or skirt/skort and must be a solid color (Hunter Green, White, Grey, Navy, Light Blue, Yellow, Black).
- Solid-colored, collared shirt, or blouse, with no designs or patterns. A small logo which reflects the clothing manufacturer or brand is acceptable. The logo should be less than two inches in diameter.
- Acceptable colors include: Hunter Green, White, Grey, Navy, Light Blue, Yellow.
- When layering shirts (long sleeve under short sleeve) both shirts must be a solid color in the acceptable colors.
- Bay Vista T-shirts are allowed.
- Solid-colored uniform dress, the length worn no higher than three inches above the knee front and back (shorts may be worn under if covered by dress).
- Acceptable colors include: Hunter Green, White, Grey, Navy, Light Blue, Yellow, Khaki, and Black.
- Dresses may or may not have collars.
- Collared shirts may be worn under dresses in the acceptable shirt colors.
- Athletic shoes with an adjustable closure (i.e. laces or Velcro).
- Slip-on athletic shoes with a rubber sole, such as Vans or Converse, are acceptable if students can safely perform athletic duties during PE/Recess.
- Tights/Leggings may only be worn under a dress or skirt and must be a solid color (Hunter Green, White, Grey, Navy, Light Blue, Yellow, Black).
- Any color/pattern socks may be worn.
- Any color/pattern zip-up jacket may be worn.
- Sweatshirts must be a solid color (Hunter Green, White, Grey, Navy, Light Blue, Yellow, Black).
NO STUDENT MAY WEAR THE FOLLOWING:
- Cargo or carpenter shorts/pants, capris, culottes, split skirts, denim shorts/pants, or sweatpants
- Form fitting leotard/spandex type clothing, tight knit pants, clinging pants or leggings/jeggings are not allowed unless proper outer garments cover to mid-thigh length or longer. (i.e. worn under a skirt/dress)
- No garments that are see-through or mesh
- Shirts that show a child’s midriff when both hands are raised or that have sayings/images that are deemed inappropriate
- Blouses, shirts, or dresses which are tank tops, halter tops, spaghetti straps, sleeveless, or low cut in front or back
- All non-athletic shoes, such as sandals, thongs, flip-flops, shoes with wheels/heels, spikes, cleats, clogs, boots or shoes that appear boot-like, croc-style shoes, slip-on shoes, or shoes without back strap
- Clothing with holes, tears, any type of fraying, or are oversized
- Prohibited are hairstyles and colors, and other fashion styles, which are disruptive to the school environment or educational process
- Hats, other head coverings, or sunglasses may only be worn during outside PE activities and may not be worn during any portion of the regular school day without the expressed permission of the principal. Hats/hoodies/other head coverings may not be worn indoors. This does not encompass religious coverings.
- Rolling backpacks are not permitted.
**When a child receives their fourth dress code warning letter, it will be accompanied with an infraction notice.
We will be monitoring sales over the course of the summer and will share when we find good deals! I have found lots of items online at Walmart, Target, and Old Navy for as low as $3.00.
The Uniform Guidelines also allow for Bay Vista T-Shirts to be worn on any day. Our PTA will be sharing how you can order Bay Vista T-Shirts online or at pre-school events, so stay tuned for more to follow.