- PCS Newsroom
Several free enrichment opportunities this week with Level Up
Oct. 11, 2021
Please take advantage of upcoming Level Up enrichment opportunities. This free, virtual enrichment program was created to help you and your children take advantage of your digital learning devices and stay connected to learning. Options for all grade levels, include phonic skills practice, virtual museum tours, and ACT and SAT preparation courses. Learn more about the virtual learning opportunities at www.pcsb.org/levelup
- Parents' Night In: At-home resources to support the learning of mathematics – Ready Classroom Mathematics is a robust mathematics program that will help your child become a strong, independent mathematical thinker. Parents will receive ideas and resources to use at home to support their child's learning of mathematics. In addition, parents will explore how Learning Games provide mathematics fluency and skills practice in a way that develops internal motivation while encouraging productive struggle. You also will be able to get answers to frequently asked questions. Target Group: Parents/families of students in grades K-5. Time/Date: 4:30 - 5:30 p.m. or 6:30 -7:30 p.m., Tuesday, Oct. 12, or, Thursday, Oct. 14, 2021. Link: Click here to join a session.
- Critical Content for Quarter 1 Algebra 1 & Geometry – Algebra 1 & Geometry Quarterly Climb - Part 1: This session will guide students through an asynchronous review and practice of critical content from Quarter 1 of Algebra 1 & Geometry to prep them for Cycle 1 Assessments. Target Group: High School Algebra 1 and Geometry students Date: September 27 - October 14, 2021. Links: Geometry link: Cycle 1 Extra Practice Review. Algebra 1 link: Cycle 1 Algebra 1 Extra Practice Review. Having trouble joining the Nearpod reviews, they can go to join.nearpod.com and the code for Geometry is F8E7M and the code for Algebra 1 is UQ8ZB.
- "Hey Did you Know" self-paced enrichment Nearpods on a variety of topics are available on an open Canvas course – Students have a button in Clever titled "Hey Did You Know." Here, students can access self-paced mini[LD1] -courses in a variety of topics and content areas. They can also suggest new topics. The mini courses can be accessed in class as "early finishers" or from home any time. This feature is designed for gifted and talented learners but is accessible by all district students. Four new topics will be added each month starting in October. Target Group: K-5 Gifted. Access via Clever.
- Middle School Parents: Accelerate Reading Growth by Practicing Productively – Parents of middle school students enrolled in Elevate reading courses will learn about the Elevate routine, goals of the course and two ways they can have their students practicing productively at home by interacting with the Elevate software. Target Group: Parents of students in grades 6-8. Dates: 6:30 - 7:30 p.m., Tuesday, Oct. 19, 2021. Click here to join the session.
- Critical content for Quarter 1 of Biology – Biology Quarterly Climb- Part 1: This self-paced Nearpod session will guide students through a review and practice of critical content from Quarter 1 of Biology. Target Group: High School Biology and Pre-AP Biology students. Date: Monday, Oct. 4-15, 2021. Links: Click here for Biology and click here for Pre-AP Biology. If you receive a message saying “the class has reached the maximum amount of students” then use a different link/code, Biology: Click to join or use code J4WLE; Click to join or use Code FDBMS; Click to join or use code VSHFP; Click to join or use code S4V86; Click to join or use code G4WUP; Click to join or use code S4XMT. Pre-AP Biology: Version 1, Join the Nearpod or use join code JZTU4; Version 2, Join the Nearpod or use join code HDX43; Version 3, Join the Nearpod or use join code BG5ZE; Version 4, Join the Nearpod or use join code TAPKC.
- Online Civic Reasoning: Researching online responsibly – We ask students to conduct academic research online, but are we mindful of the pitfalls and common problems? This series of three self-paced Nearpod presentations will engage students with research-based lessons to evaluate online information that affects them, their communities, and the world. Students who complete all three presentations will earn a certificate. Target Group: 6-12 grades. Open now and closes October 31. Link: Click here for the flyer and links to get started.