K-12 STEM Department
(Science, Technology, Engineering and Math)
To prepare students to excel in STEM fields of study and succeed in careers as leaders and innovators.
To increase STEM opportunities for Pinellas County students, preparing them to excel in STEM fields of study, allowing them to meet the challenges of society through innovation, collaboration and creative problem-solving.
STEM Academy Program Overview
- The K-12 STEM Department is run by the K-12 STEM Specialist who oversees the STEM Academy Program. This free STEM Academy Program impacts more than 5,000 students in 2 -12 grades from 90+ participating schools. The program utilizes an extended school day offering students opportunities to conduct hands-on engineering design challenges, explore careers in STEM, improve teambuilding and leadership skills, learn about business planning and interact with community and business partners. The Pinellas County Schools Department of Assessment, Accountability and Research, found that a student participating in the STEM Academy program is 2 times more likely to pass the state Math FSA assessment and 4 times more likely to pass the state NGSSS Science EOC.
- In order to provide funding for the STEM Academy Program, the K-12 STEM Specialist has written and received grant amounts in upwards of $1,300,000+ used to fund a majority of the STEM Academies at 50+ Title 1 schools. In addition to the 260+ STEM Academies, the K-12 STEM Specialist offers a yearly STEM Expo, where students participating in this program get to display their STEM projects they worked on throughout the year.
- During the summer months, the K-12 STEM Department offers a variety of STEM Summer Camps for students in elementary through high school.
- The K-12 STEM Department is always seeking partnerships to further develop the program which in turn enhances the quality of STEM education students receive. Some of the current partnerships include but, are not limited to Duke Energy, UDT, Pitsco, EverFi, MAD-learn, STEMFuse, Girls Who Code, Wonder Workshop and many more.
- To learn more, donate funding and/or resources, or become involved with the K-12 STEM Department, please contact:
Laura Spence, K-12 STEM Specialist
2020-2021 FREE After School STEM Academy Program Application Details
FREE After School STEM Academy Program
If you are interested in enrolling your Pinellas County public school child (governed by the P.C. School Board) into one of the FREE after school STEM Academies run by the PCS K-12 STEM Department, during the 2020-2021 school year, please read through the details below as well as the informational flyer.
- The STEM Academy Program is available to students in 2 through 12 grades.
- Since this is a FREE program, space is limited, and waitlists will be available at each school for each individual STEM Academy. The selection of students will be determined by a random lottery process thus providing accessibility for ANY interested student.
- STEM Academies meet after school, once per week for 60 minutes on the same day each week (identified by the STEM Academy teacher). Some teachers elect to host their STEM Academy class before school and some elect to host their STEM Academy on a bi-weekly basis for 120 minutes (every other week).
- The STEM Academy Program will be held in-person at school sites. All social distance guidelines will be followed per the Pinellas County School District's Health and Wellness Protocols website https://www.pcsb.org/covid19. Information related to social distancing guidelines pertaining to the STEM Academy Program are identified in bullet point #6 (listed in the informational flyer below) and will be further outlined in the 2020-2021 STEM Academy Student Application Packet.
- The K-12 STEM Department's annual STEM Expo will be held on Saturday, May 15th (additional details to follow later in the year).