K-12 STEM Department
K-12 STEM Department (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics)
The vision of the STEM Academies is to increase STEM opportunities for Pinellas County students. The intent of this increased exposure to STEM is for students to enroll themselves in accelerated STEM courses as they progress through middle and high school.
The mission of the STEM Academies is to offer students’ opportunities to conduct hands-on STEM investigations, explore careers in STEM, improve team building and leadership skills, learn about business planning and interact with community partners.
STEM Academy Program Overview
The K-12 STEM Department is run by the K-12 STEM Specialist who oversees the STEM Academy program. This free STEM Academy program impacts more than 5,300 students in 2 -12 grades from 100 participating schools. The program utilizes an extended school day to offer students opportunities to conduct hands-on engineering design challenges, explore careers in STEM, improve teambuilding and leadership skills, learn about business planning and interact with community and business partners. Over the past six years, the K-12 STEM Specialist has written and received grant amounts from Duke Energy close to $1,000,000 used to fund a majority of the STEM Academies at the Title 1 schools.
The PCS Department of Assessment, Accountability and Research, found that a student participating in the STEM Academy program is 2 times more likely to pass the state Math FSA assessment and 4 times more likely to pass the state NGSSS Science EOC.
In addition to the 270+ STEM Academies, the K-12 STEM Specialist offers a yearly STEM Expo, where students participating in this program get to display their engineering design projects that they worked on throughout the year. During the month of June, the K-12 STEM Department offers 4 weeks of STEM Summer Camps.
To learn more, donate resources or become involved with the K-12 STEM Department, please contact:
Laura Spence, K-12 STEM Specialist
Deborah Gerhardt, K-12 STEM Department Secretary
19-20 FREE STEM Academy Program Application Details
Enrollment is now open! Deadline to submit a completed 19-20 STEM Academy Application is Monday, September 16th.
If you are interested in enrolling your Pinellas County public school child (governed by the PC School Board) into one of the FREE before or after school STEM Academies run by the PCS K-12 STEM Department during the 2019-2020 school year, please read through the details below.
- The STEM Academy program is available to students in 2 through 12 grades. Since this is a FREE program, space is limited to only 20 students per academy and wait lists will be available at each school for each individual STEM Academy.
- All PCS STEM Academies start the 1st week in October 2019 and run through the last week in April 2020. Academies meet either before or after school, once per week for 60 minutes. Some teachers elect to host their STEM Academies on a bi-weekly basis for 120 minutes (every other week). Applications will identify the name of the STEM Academy teacher, the day of the week the academy will be held, as well as the start and stop times.
- Enrollment is Now Open! To see if your child's school hosts a STEM Academy, view the attached 19-20 STEM Academy Offerings: School and Teacher Matrix
- To receive a 19-20 STEM Academy Student Application Packet, contact the school and request one from the STEM Academy facilitator for the specific grade level that you are interested in.
- The deadline to submit a completed 19-20 STEM Academy Student Application for your child is Monday, September 16th. Some schools have elected to extend the application deadline. If this is the case, you will see the revised application deadline located within the application packet that you will receive from the school.