K-12 STEM Department
K-12 STEM Department (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics)
The vision of the STEM Academies is to increase STEM opportunities for Pinellas County students. The intent of this increased exposure to STEM is for students to enroll themselves in accelerated STEM courses as they progress through middle and high school.
The mission of the STEM Academies is to offer students’ opportunities to conduct hands-on STEM investigations, explore careers in STEM, improve team building and leadership skills, learn about business planning and interact with community partners.
STEM Academy Program Overview
The K-12 STEM Department is run by the K-12 STEM Specialist who oversees the STEM Academy program. This free STEM Academy program impacts more than 5,300 students in 2 -12 grades from 100 participating schools. The program utilizes an extended school day to offer students opportunities to conduct hands-on engineering design challenges, explore careers in STEM, improve teambuilding and leadership skills, learn about business planning and interact with community and business partners. Over the past six years, the K-12 STEM Specialist has written and received grant amounts from Duke Energy close to $1,000,000 used to fund a majority of the STEM Academies at the Title 1 schools.
The PCS Department of Assessment, Accountability and Research, found that a student participating in the STEM Academy program is 2 times more likely to pass the state Math FSA assessment and 4 times more likely to pass the state NGSSS Science EOC.
In addition to the 270+ STEM Academies, the K-12 STEM Specialist offers a yearly STEM Expo, where students participating in this program get to display their engineering design projects that they worked on throughout the year. During the month of June, the K-12 STEM Department offers 4 weeks of STEM Summer Camps.
To learn more, donate resources or become involved with the K-12 STEM Department, please contact:
Laura Spence, K-12 STEM Specialist
STEM Office: 727-588-6338
PCS K-12 STEM Dept's 2019 STEM Summer Camp Opportunities
K-12 STEM Department Summer Camp Offerings
STEM SUMMER CAMPS (students entering 2nd-7th grades during 19-20 school year)
SPACE STILL AVAILABLE AND SCHOLARSHIPS AVAILABLE! - Enrollment Deadlines Vary Per Week (see below)
- Link to download 2019 STEM Summer Camp application packet:2019 STEM Summer Camp Application Packet
- Online registration link (also found on pg. 4 of application packet): https://pcsb.revtrak.net/stem-summer-camp-registration/#/f/2019-stem-summer-camp
- Who: students entering 2nd-7th grades during the 19-20 school year, only 120 students per site, if there are enough students placed on the wait list there might be opportunities for an additional class to be opened.
- When/Where: 4-day camp (no camp on Friday's) offered during the 4 weeks in June, same content offered each week, grades 2-7 are offered at each site regardless of school location (elementary school or middle school)
Week 1: 6/3-6/6 Leila Davis Elementary (space still available in 3rd, 4th, and 5th classes only - wait lists available, enrollment deadline Thurs. 5/30, 3pm)
Week 2: 6/10-6/13 East Lake Middle (space still available in 3rd and 4th gr. classes only - wait list available, enrollment deadline Wed. 6/5, 3pm)
Week 3: 6/17-6/20 Ridgecrest Elementary (space still available in all grade levels, enrollment deadline Wed 6/12, 3pm)
Week 4: 6/24-6/27 Tyrone Middle (space still available in all grade levels, enrollment deadline Wed 6/19, 3pm)
- Hours: 8:00-3:30 Mon.-Thurs. (no camp on Friday's, pg. 2 of application packet identifies if before and after care are available at each site)
- Cost: $100 (includes a free PCS lunch each day)
- Enrollment Deadline: Open enrollment until all classes are filled.
STEM Summer Camp SCHOLARSHIP Application - Extended Deadline Until 6/7, 12pm!
- Link to download the 2019 STEM Summer Camp scholarshipapplication packet: 2019 STEM Summer Camp Scholarship Application Packet
- Scholarship available to 10 females entering 6th-7th grades during the 2019-2020 school year.
- Site Location: Tyrone MS
- Dates: June 24th-June 27th
- Deadline to Submit Application: Friday, June 7th by 12pm
STEM HONORS SUMMER CAMPS (students entering 8th-9th grades during 19-20 school year)
Space still available at the East Lake Middle School site - Extended Deadline Until 6/5, 3pm!
- Download 2019 STEM Honors Summer Camp application packet which includes the online registration/payment link (page 3 of application):2019 STEM Honors Summer Camp Application Packet
- Online registration link (also found on pg. 3 of application packet): https://pcsb.revtrak.net/stem-summer-camp-registration/#/f/pcs-stem-honors-summer-camp-2019-3
- Who: students entering 8th-9th grades during the 19-20 school year, only 60 spots allowed
- When: 8-day camp 6/10-6/13 and 6/17-6/20 (no camp on Friday's)
- Where: East Lake Middle School and Lakewood HS (Lakewood HS site cancelled)
- Hours: 8:00-3:30 Mon.-Thurs. (no camp on Friday's and no before or after care available.
- Cost: $150 (includes lunch for 8 days, 2 field trips and a t-shirt)
- Registration Deadline: Thursday, May 23rd
STEM Honors Camp Scholarship Application (No longer available-Lakewood HS site cancelled as of 5-17-19)
- Link to download the 2019 STEM Honors Summer Camp scholarship application packet (no longer available-Lakewood HS site cancelled)
- Scholarship available to 5 females entering 8th-9th grades during the 2019-2020 school year.
- Site Location: Lakewood HS
- Dates: 8 days, June 10-June 13 and June 17-June 20
- Deadline to Submit Application: Friday, May 24th, by 4pm (cancelled)
19-20 FREE STEM Academy Program Application Details
If you are interested in enrolling your Pinellas County public school child (goverened by the PC School Board) into one of the FREE before or after-school STEM Academies run by the PCS K-12 STEM Department during the 2019-2020 school year, please read through the details below.
- The FREE STEM Academy program is offered to students in 2 through 12 grades. Since this is a FREE program, space is limited to only 20 students per academy and wait lists will be available at each school for each individual STEM Academy.
- All PCS STEM Academies start the 1st week in October and run through the last week in April. Academies meet either before or after school, once per week for 60 minutes. Applications will identify the name of the STEM Academy teacher, the day of the week the academy will be held, as well as the start and stop times.
- The STEM Academy student applications for the 19-20 school year will be available during the month of September 2019. Information pertaining to enrollment processes will be postd on this website during the month of Setpember 2019.
- To view a list of schools who host STEM Academies during the 18-19 school year, please view the following document: STEM Academy Site Offerings