K-12 STEM Department
K-12 STEM Department (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics)
To prepare students to excel in STEM fields of study and succeed in careers as leaders and innovators.
To offer students’ opportunities to conduct hands-on STEM investigations, explore careers in STEM, improve team building and leadership skills, learn about business planning and interact with community partners.
STEM Academy Program Overview
The K-12 STEM Department is run by the K-12 STEM Specialist who oversees the STEM Academy program. This free STEM Academy program impacts more than 5,000 students in 2 -12 grades from 100 participating schools. The program utilizes an extended school day to offer students opportunities to conduct hands-on engineering design challenges, explore careers in STEM, improve teambuilding and leadership skills, learn about business planning and interact with community and business partners. Over the past six years, the K-12 STEM Specialist has written and received grant amounts from Duke Energy close to $1,000,000 used to fund a majority of the STEM Academies at the Title 1 schools.
The PCS Department of Assessment, Accountability and Research, found that a student participating in the STEM Academy program is 2 times more likely to pass the state Math FSA assessment and 4 times more likely to pass the state NGSSS Science EOC.
In addition to the 260+ STEM Academies, the K-12 STEM Specialist offers a yearly STEM Expo, where students participating in this program get to display their STEM projects that they worked on throughout the year. During the month of June, the K-12 STEM Department offers a series of STEM Summer Camps.
To learn more, donate resources or become involved with the K-12 STEM Department, please contact:
Laura Spence, K-12 STEM Specialist
Deborah Gerhardt, K-12 STEM Department Secretary
2020 STEM Summer Camps
(Due to changes within the district regarding the Corona virus, release of STEM Summer Camp applications is delayed. Once camp applications become available, notification of these opportunitites will be placed on this PCS STEM distrcit website.)
Camp Option #1
- 4 day camp (Monday-Thursday), no camp on Friday's
- 3 different locations throughout Pinellas County (locations TBD - each week will be hosted at a different location)
- Offered during 3 different weeks in June.
- Hours 8:00 AM - 3:30 PM
- Week #1 6/8-6/11, Week #2 6/15-6/18 and Week #3 6/22-6/25
- Students who are currently enrolled in a Pinellas County School, governed by the PCSB that are entering 2nd-7th grades during the 20-21 school year.
Camp Option #2
- 12 day camp offered at Lakewood High School
- Camp will start Monday June 8th and run though Thursday June 25th.
- No camp on Friday's.
- Hours: 8:00 AM - 3:30 PM
- Students who are currently enrolled in a Pinellas County School, governed by the PCSB that are entering 8th-9th grades during the 20-21 school year.
2020-2021 FREE After School STEM Academy Program Application Details
FREE After School STEM Academy Program
If you are interested in enrolling your Pinellas County public school child (governed by the PC School Board) into one of the FREE after school STEM Academies run by the PCS K-12 STEM Department during the 2020-2021 school year, please read through the details below.
- The STEM Academy program is available to students in 2 through 12 grades. Since this is a FREE program, space is limited to only 20 students per STEM Academy and waitlists will be available at each school for each individual STEM Academy.
- All PCS STEM Academies start the 1st week in October and run through the last week in April. STEM Academies meet after school, once per week for 60 minutes on the same day of the week (identified by the STEM Academy teacher). Some teachers elect to host their STEM Academy before school and some elect to host their academy on a bi-weekly basis for 120 minutes (every other week).
- 2020-2021 STEM Academy Student Applications will become available in August 2020. Notification of application release date will be posted on this PCS STEM district website.