K-12 STEM Department
(Science, Technology, Engineering and Math)
To prepare students to excel in STEM fields of study and succeed in careers as leaders and innovators.
To increase STEM opportunities for Pinellas County students, preparing them to excel in STEM fields of study, allowing them to meet the challenges of society through innovation, collaboration and creative problem-solving.
STEM Academy Program Overview
- The K-12 STEM Department is run by the K-12 STEM Specialist who oversees the STEM Academy Program. This free STEM Academy program impacts more than 5,000 students in 2 -12 grades from 90+ participating schools. The program utilizes an extended school day offering students opportunities to conduct hands-on engineering design challenges, explore careers in STEM, improve teambuilding and leadership skills, learn about business planning and interact with community and business partners. The Pinellas County Schools Department of Assessment, Accountability and Research, found that a student participating in the STEM Academy program is 2 times more likely to pass the state Math FSA assessment and 4 times more likely to pass the state NGSSS Science EOC.
- In order to provide funding for the STEM Academy Program, the K-12 STEM Specialist has written and received grant amounts in upwards of $1,300,000+ used to fund a majority of the STEM Academies at 50+ Title 1 schools. In addition to the 260+ STEM Academies, the K-12 STEM Specialist offers a yearly STEM Expo, where students participating in this program get to display their STEM projects they worked on throughout the year.
- During the summer months, the K-12 STEM Department offers a STEM Innovation Summer Camp program for students entering 2-8 grade during the upcoming school year.
- The K-12 STEM Department is always seeking partnerships to further develop the program which in turn enhances the quality of STEM education students receive. Some of the current partnerships include but, are not limited to Duke Energy, UDT, Pitsco, EverFi, MAD-learn, STEMFuse, Girls Who Code, Wonder Workshop and many more.
- To learn more, donate funding and/or resources, or to become involved with the K-12 STEM Department, please contact:
K-12 STEM Specialist
(727) 538-7167 x2128
6100 154th Ave N, Clearwater, FL 33760
2021 STEM INNOVATION SUMMER CAMP PROGRAM
REGISTRATION OPENS THURSDAY, APRIL 8, 2021 AT 5:00PM
GENERAL CAMP OVERVIEW
* The 2021 STEM Innovation Summer Camp program will take place in person. No virtual offerings will be available this summer.
Cost: $50 for 4 days (Monday-Thursday, no camp on Friday's)
Who Is Eligible To Attend: Any student who will be entering 2-8 grades during the 2021-2022 school year and who are currently enrolled in a Pinellas County public school governed by the Pinellas County School Board. Due to the funding sources utilized to help run the camp, charter, private and Florida Virtual students are not eligible to enroll.
Grade-Span and Class Size: 36 2nd/3rd-grade seats per site (18 students per classroom/1 teacher), 40 4th/5th-grade seats per site (20 students per classroom/1 teacher) and 40 6th-8th-grade seats per site (20 students per classroom/1 teacher)
Student Hours: 8:30 am -3:30 pm
Content: The same STEM content will be offered each week regardless of the camps site location. See student application for STEM content details.
Week and Location Offerings: Week 1 Option: June 21-June 24, Seventy Fourth Street Elementary School, Week 2 Option: June 28-July 1, Garrison Jones Elementary School and Week 3 Option: July 12-July15, Pinellas Technical College, Clearwater Campus
Student Application Packet With Registration Link
To download the 2021 STEM Innovation Summer Camp Student Application Packet that contains the registration/payment link, click on the following: 2021 STEM Summer Camp Student Application Packet
- Online registration and payment processes: contact Bonnie Beard, Secretary for the K-12 STEM Department at (727) 588-6006 or Beardbo@pcsb.org.
- If you have questions regarding camp content, please contact Laura Spence, K-12 STEM Specialist at Spencela@pcsb.org or (727) 538-7167 x2128
FREE After School STEM Academy Program - Enrollment Ongoing
If you are interested in enrolling your Pinellas County public school child (governed by the P.C. School Board) into one of the FREE after school STEM Academies run by the PCS K-12 STEM Department, during the 2020-2021 school year, please read through the details below as well as the informational flyer.
- Students in 2 through 12 grades who are currently enrolled in a Pinellas County public school governed by the Pinellas County School Board are able to participate in this program. To view a complete list of the schools, teachers and grade levels, please click on the following link: STEM Academy Program Matrix 2020-2021
- Since this is a FREE program, space is limited, and waitlists will be available at each school for each individual STEM Academy. The selection of students will be determined by a random lottery process thus providing accessibility for ANY interested student.
- STEM Academies meet after school, once per week for 60 minutes on the same day each week (identified by the STEM Academy teacher). Some teachers elect to host their STEM Academy class before school and some elect to host their STEM Academy on a bi-weekly basis for 120 minutes (every other week).
- Since this program is free and optional, the STEM Academy Program is only being offered as an in-person program. If a student is virtually learning from home, per Pinellas County School District guidelines, they are still able to come to the school to participate in the in-person STEM Academy Program.
- The STEM Academy Program will be held in-person at school sites. All social distance guidelines will be followed per the Pinellas County School District's Health and Wellness Protocols website https://www.pcsb.org/covid19.
- To acquire a 2020-2021 STEM Academy Student Application you will need to work directly with the school as each application is specific to the days of the week and times that individual teachers will be hosting their academies. To view the names of the teachers as well as the days and times they will host their STEM Academy, please click on the list in bullet point #1.
- For the health and safety of our Pinellas County STEM families and educators, the K-12 STEM Department's annual STEM Expo will not take place this year (2021).
PCS STEM Academy Snapshots
FAMILY FRIENDLY STEM LEARNING AT HOME:
A FREE VIRTUAL EVENT FOR PARENTS AND CAREGIVERS
MONDAY, MARCH 29TH, 6:00-8:00 PM