VISION: A world-class visual arts education for every student
MISSION: Provide the highest quality service and support to all schools, visual arts teachers, students, and families
The K-12 Visual Arts programs in Pinellas County Schools are nationally recognized because of the district's continuing commitment to the arts. Additionally, because of the Pinellas County Schools Referendum and enthusiastic community support, the visual arts at every level are flourishing like never before!
2022–2023 Points of Pride:
- 3,797 2-D and 3-D artworks were selected for display in over 25 district and county-wide exhibitions at local art museums, art centers, and galleries. 774 art awards were earned by Pinellas County students!
- 310 middle and high school students earned 438 awards in the Pinellas County Art Region of the Scholastic Art Awards. Over $7,000 in scholarship money, provided by our generous awards sponsors, was earned by Pinellas County students.
- Pinellas County students earned 16 Scholastic Art & Writing Awards National Gold and Silver Medals in 2023, and in just the last eight years, 99 total National Medals have been earned by creative teens in the Pinellas County Art Region. Even during the pandemic, "Art Never Stopped" in our district - as demonstrated by the 17 National Medals our students earned in 2021!
- Pinellas County students had another strong showing in the annual Florida Art Education Association's K-12 Student Art Assessment and Virtual Exhibition with 62 Awards of Excellence and 20 Awards of Excellence with Distinction. Additionally, PCS students' artwork won "The Best of Show" and the Elementary Division (two of the top four awards) in the state-wide show. In 2022, PCS students won both the Elementary and Middle School divisions. PCS students have earned "The Best of Show" awards five out of the last seven years.
- PCS students earned "The Best of Show" (Congressional Choice Awards) in both the 13th Congressional and 14th Congressional Districts High School Art Competitions. The two artworks are currently displayed in the U.S. Capitol in Washington D.C.
- Two of the three top award winners in the Gasparilla Festival of Arts Tampa Regional High School Showcase were PCS students (seven neighboring school districts were invited to participate). In 2022, a PCS student earned one of the top three awards.
- The Pinellas All-County K-12 Art Exhibition, with over 1,500 original 2-D and 3-D works on display throughout the district's Administration Building, is considered the nation's largest annual exhibition of student art. These captivating works were created by K-12 art students representing every school in our district. Participating students, their families, friends, art teachers, and administrators are invited to the annual open-house reception event in September.
- The Pinellas County Schools Referendum strengthens reading, technology, music, and visual arts programs by providing up-to-date technology and software applications, helps retain and recruit highly qualified art teachers, provides quality professional development opportunities, allows students to go on field trips to local art museums, and enables art teachers to purchase needed art supplies, materials, and equipment for their students to use to create high-quality and award-winning artwork.
- East Lake High School Visual Arts Educator, Eileen Iacobucci, was recognized as the 2022 PCS Teacher of the Year!
Visit the Pinellas Art Education Association (PAEA) website to learn about our supportive local K-12 visual arts educators' not-for-profit professional organization. This dedicated group works to raise money and provide scholarships and awards for students with exemplary artwork displayed in many district exhibitions.
Follow us on social media!
#PCSArts #PCSVisualArts #PCSProud #ArtNeverStops