Art Field Trips
Field trips to see great works of art and visit art venues engages and expands minds, and allows students, teachers, parents, and chaperones to learn about our shared cultures. The Visual Arts Department encourages any district teacher to take their class(es) to visit the wonderful art museums we are so fortunate to have here in the Tampa Bay area.
- Read this article about how art museum visits during childhood inspired modern-day artists to fall in love with art!
- Read this article about an unexpectedly positive result from arts-focused field trips “The surprising result is that students who received multiple field trips experienced significantly greater gains on their standardized test scores after the first year than did the control students.”
Field Trips provide an opportunity to introduce many of the Florida Next Generation Sunshine State Standards in a unique and relevant setting.
Referendum funds dedicated to the Visual Arts are available to cover the cost of commercial buses and admission fees for any PCS teacher planning an art museum field trip; however, TDEs are provided for visual arts teachers only.
The Visual Arts Field Trip Planning Process
1. At Least Five Weeks in Advance of Proposed Field Trip Date
Teacher requests school administrator's approval and follows school's field trip procedures. Then makes a field trip reservation with art venue, obtains student and adult admission rates, and requests a written confirmation from the venue (see currently approved art venues below):
Dr. Carter G. Woodson African American Museum, St. Petersburg - No field trips at this time - contact Terri Scott: firstname.lastname@example.org
District School Bus
- Teacher requests their school's Bookkeeper to schedule bus transportation. IMPORTANT: Pick up and return times must be between 10:15 am and 1:00 pm (no exceptions).
- Teacher contacts approved vendors found on Authorized Commercial Carrier Services List to obtain a written quote/acceptance letter from the carrier.
- Teacher must complete Request for Quote Commercial Carrier form (see link to below) and submit form to school's Bookkeeper.
3. At Least Four Weeks in Advance of Proposed Field Trip Date
Teacher completes the Visual Arts Field Trip Funding Request Form 2-2102 AND the Application for Field Trip Form 1-294. After principal signs both forms, teacher scans the two forms, the carrier bus acceptance letter (if applicable), and the art venue confirmation letter, and sends all of the files together in one email to: Francine Giannotti <email@example.com> or ponies to the Visual Arts Office at the Administration Building.
4. Field Trip Approval
The Visual Arts Department will email an approval memo to both the teacher and their school's Bookkeeper with funding cost strip information for paying the admission and/or commercial carrier fees.
5. After Receiving Approval Memo
- Teacher will immediately confirm carrier transportation.
- Teacher will coordinate with school's Bookkeeper to arrange admissions payment via P-Card or PCS Purchase Order using cost strip.
- Teacher must notify school's Bookkeeper, the art venue, commercial carrier, and the Visual Arts Office of a cancellation ASAP.
Contact with any questions about the above process: Francine Giannotti <GIANNOTTIF@pcsb.org> Art Office Phone: 727-588-6057