K-12 STEM Department
(Science, Technology, Engineering and Math)
To prepare students to excel in STEM fields of study and succeed in careers as leaders and innovators.
To increase STEM opportunities for Pinellas County students, preparing them to excel in STEM fields of study, allowing them to meet the challenges of society through innovation, collaboration and creative problem-solving.
STEM Academy Program Overview
- The K-12 STEM Department is run by the K-12 STEM Specialist who oversees the STEM Academy Program. This free STEM Academy program impacts more than 5,000 students in 2 -12 grades from 90+ participating schools. The program utilizes an extended school day offering students opportunities to conduct hands-on engineering design challenges, explore careers in STEM, improve teambuilding and leadership skills, learn about business planning and interact with community and business partners. The Pinellas County Schools Department of Assessment, Accountability and Research, found that a student participating in the STEM Academy program is 2 times more likely to pass the state Math FSA assessment and 4 times more likely to pass the state NGSSS Science EOC.
- In order to provide funding for the STEM Academy Program, the K-12 STEM Specialist has written and received grant amounts in upwards of $1,300,000+ used to fund a majority of the STEM Academies at 50+ Title 1 schools. In addition to the 260+ STEM Academies, the K-12 STEM Specialist offers a yearly STEM Expo, where students participating in this program get to display their STEM projects they worked on throughout the year.
- During the summer months, the K-12 STEM Department offers a STEM Innovation Summer Camp program for students entering 2-8 grade during the upcoming school year.
- The K-12 STEM Department is always seeking partnerships to further develop the program which in turn enhances the quality of STEM education students receive. Some of the current partnerships include but, are not limited to Duke Energy, UDT, Pitsco, EverFi, MAD-learn, STEMFuse, Girls Who Code, Wonder Workshop and many more.
- To learn more, donate funding and/or resources, or to become involved with the K-12 STEM Department, please contact:
K-12 STEM Specialist
(727) 538-7167 x2128
6100 154th Ave N, Clearwater, FL 33760
2021 STEM INNOVATION SUMMER CAMP PROGRAM - REGISTRATION IS OPEN AND SEATS ARE STILL AVAILABLE!
GENERAL CAMP OVERVIEW
* The 2021 STEM Innovation Summer Camp program will take place in person. No virtual offerings will be available this summer.
Cost: $50 for 4 days (Monday-Thursday, no camp on Fridays)
Who Is Eligible To Attend: Any student who will be entering 2-8 grades during the 2021-2022 school year and who are currently enrolled in a Pinellas County public school governed by the Pinellas County School Board. Due to the funding sources utilized to help run the camp, charter, private and Florida Virtual students are not eligible to enroll.
Grade-Span and Class Size: 36 2nd/3rd-grade seats per site (18 students per classroom/1 teacher), 40 4th/5th-grade seats per site (20 students per classroom/1 teacher) and 40 6th-8th-grade seats per site (20 students per classroom/1 teacher)
Student Hours: 8:30 am -3:30 pm
Content: The same STEM content will be offered each week regardless of the camp's site location. See 2021 STEM Innovation Summer Camp Student Application Packet(PDF) for STEM content details.
Week and Location Offerings:
Week 1 Option: June 21-June 24, Seventy Fourth Street Elementary School
- 2nd/3rd Gr. Classes: filled
- 4th/5th Gr. Classes: approx. 17 seats still available
- 6th-8th Gr. Classes: approx. 17 seats still available
Week 2 Option: June 28-July 1, Garrison Jones Elementary School
- 2nd/3rd Gr. Classes: filled
- 4th/5th Gr. Classes: approx. 2 seats still available
- 6th-8th Gr. Classes: approx. 19 seats still available
Week 3 Option: July 12-July15, Pinellas Technical College, Clearwater Campus
- 2nd/3rd Gr. Classes: approx. 2 seats still available
- 4th/5th Gr. Classes: filled
- 6th-8th Gr. Classes: approx. 12 seats still available
Student Application Packet With Registration Link
Download the 2021 STEM Innovation Summer Camp Student Application Packet that contains the registration/payment link:
The 2021 STEM Innovation Summer Camp program will follow all COVID-19 guidelines set forth by the Pinellas County School District. To view the district's COVID guidelines, please visit PCS COVID-19 Guidelines and Protocols
- If you have questions regarding registration and payment processes, contact Bonnie Beard, Secretary for the K-12 STEM Department at (727) 588-6006 or Beardbo@pcsb.org.
- If you have questions regarding camp content, contact Laura Spence, K-12 STEM Specialist at Spencela@pcsb.org or (727) 538-7167 x2128
FREE After School STEM Academy Program
If you are interested in enrolling your Pinellas County public school child (governed by the P.C. School Board) into one of the FREE after school STEM Academies run by the PCS K-12 STEM Department, student applications for the 2021-2022 school year will become available in September of 2021.
- To see what the STEM Academy program is all about, please visit the "Video Tab" section located on the right-hand side of this website as well as additional videos located in the middle of this website.
PCS STEM Academy Snapshots
FAMILY FRIENDLY STEM LEARNING AT HOME:
A FREE VIRTUAL EVENT FOR PARENTS AND CAREGIVERS
MONDAY, MARCH 29TH, 6:00-8:00 PM