Thursday, July 28, 2020
Good afternoon OMS Community,
I am proud of the thought and details put into the community centered Pinellas County Schools ReOpening Plan and for your patience/support of OMS! Your trust and commitment to our efforts in doing what's in the best interest of our school community is greatly appreciated. The PCS ReOpening Plan is attached and additional information is available at www.pcsb.org/reopening. Currently we have cancelled our PEER Connect for our incoming 6th Graders but will provide a virtual orientation opportunity to support a smooth transition to middle school. Additional information specific to OMS Open House/Back to School Night is forthcoming. Please take a moment to review the PCS ReOpening Plan to gain a greater perspective on how we plan to safely educate our students.
School Setting Options:
On Tuesday, July 14, 2020 Pinellas County School Board agreed to permit parents to make a choice as to how your child will be educated in the fall. Allow me to share a few thoughts as you make the decision that is best for your family by 5:00 p.m. on July 27, 2020.
There are three choices available,
Returning to the traditional school setting
- Social distancing and wearing a face masks will be required for all Students, Staff, and Visitors.
- Safety precautions in accordance with CDC and Health Dept. guidelines will be enforced.
- I would like to offer a little clarification about option #2 MYPCS online. Core instruction of ELA, math and science will be taught by a Pinellas County Teacher. It may or may not be a OMS teacher because that is determined by the number of students who choose the online option from our school.
- Students will participate in live virtual sessions that are offered in accordance with our school day schedule and must remain active in this option through the end of the first 9 weeks of school.
Pinellas Virtual School (PVS) online
- Student withdraws from Osceola Middle School to participate in PVS full time.
- Student must remain enrolled in this option through the end of first semester (may elect to return in January 2021).
The ReOpening website (www.pcsb.org/reopening) is now live.
You will make your decision on the reservation system at http://reservation.pcsb.org
I understand this is a difficult decision for many of our families and I personally sympathize with you. Whatever you choose, please understand we will continue to educate your child with excellence. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to call us at (727) 547-7689 (M-Th. 8:00 a.m.- 4:30 p.m.).
We will all work though this together.
Please be safe and have a great OMS weekend!
Solomon J. Lowery, Ed. D.
Principal, Osceola Middle School
Ph. (727) 547-7689
Fax (727) 547-7667