National Honor Society
NHS members must maintain a weighted GPA of 3.5 and unweighted GPA of 3.0, have no disciplinary referrals, and fulfill volunteer obligations (See “Volunteer requirements” below). Members are expected to attend every meeting, held on the first Monday of each month, as this is the time when important news and volunteer events will be announced. If students cannot attend a meeting for an acceptable reason (illness, exc absence, or athletic function) you must notify Ms. Hodge at firstname.lastname@example.org at least 24 hours in advance. For further information on member obligations, a more detailed version of the bylaws can be accessed below.
Volunteer Requirements 2017-2018
- Current Senior NHS Members inducted in Fall of 2016
- To be eligible for NHS honors at graduation, you must complete a minimum of 10 total volunteer hours from NHS chapter service projects before January 1, 2018.
- New Senior NHS Members inducted in Fall 2017
- To be eligible for NHS honors at graduation, you must complete a minimum of 7 volunteer hours from NHS chapter service projects before March 30, 2018.
- New Junior NHS Members inducted in Fall 2017
- To be eligible to maintain membership, you must complete a minimum of 5 volunteer hours from NHS chapter service projects before May 1, 2018.
- ible to maintain membership, you must complete a minimum of 5 volunteer hours from NHS chapter service projects before May 15, 2017.
- Meetings are mandatory in order to maintain membership
- NHS monthly meetings occur on the first Tuesday of every month
- Meetings will be held in the cafeteria after school @ 1:45pm
- You will learn of new volunteer projects and procedures for the upcoming year
NHS Senior 1st Semester Meeting Dates
- September 26
- November 7
- December 5 (last meeting for old seniors)
NHS New Member 2nd Semester Meeting Dates
Eligible to Apply
- Students who are eligible to apply for NHS will receive a letter inviting them to apply on Friday, September 22 in school.
- Students who are eligible to apply, but may not have received a letter should check outside Ms. Hodge’s room (4-108) to see a list of all students who qualify to fill out an application.
- The application and instructions for filling out the application can be found below.
Completed NHS Selection Process & What to do Next:
If you’re accepted:
- Letters of congratulations will passed out Monday, October 23 to students in school.
- A list of the accepted students will be posted outside of Ms. Hodge’s room (4-108)
- If you didn’t receive your letter, or are an Early College student you will need to visit Ms. Hodge’s room (4-108) before October 27 to pick up your letter.
- Our induction ceremony will be in the PHUHS auditorium on Wednesday, November 8, 2017 at 6:30pm.
- If you are able to attend the ceremony, there will be a rehearsal for Induction after school in the cafeteria on Tuesday, November 7, 2017 at 2:00pm that will be mandatory if you are planning on attending the induction ceremony.
- As a new member your $20 dues and RSVP must be submitted to Ms. Hodge in room 4-108 by Wednesday, November 1, 2017.
If you haven’t been accepted:
Click below to check the status of your volunteer hours:
- There is an appeal process if you would like to appeal the committee’s decision, or you may simply reapply next year (if applicable).
- If you would like to appeal you need to sign up for an appeal conference that will take place before and after school October 23- October 27. See Ms. Hodge room 4-108 to schedule a 5 minute conference, and receive instructions about what to do next.