National Honor Society
Eligible to Apply
- Students who are eligible to apply for NHS will receive a letter inviting them to apply in the first week of September.
- Students who are eligible to apply, but may not have received a letter should check outside Ms. Hodge’s room (4-108) to see a list of all students who qualify to fill out an application.
- The application and instructions for filling out the application can be found below.
- NHS Application
- Application Instructions
Completed NHS Selection Process & What to Do Next:
If you’re accepted:
- Letters of congratulations will be passed out Tuesday, October 15 to students in school.
- A list of the accepted students will be posted outside of Ms. Hodge’s room (4-108)
- If you didn’t receive your letter or are an Early College student, you will need to visit Ms. Hodge’s room (4-108) before October 30 to pick up your letter.
- Our induction ceremony will be in the PHUHS auditorium on Thursday, November 21, 2019 at 6:30pm.
- If you are able to attend the ceremony, there will be a rehearsal for Induction after school in the cafeteria on Wednesday, November 20, 2018 at 2:00pm that will be mandatory if you are planning on attending the induction ceremony.
- As a new member your $20 dues must be paid on our NHS’ website, and your RSVP must be submitted to Ms. Hodge in room 4-108 by Friday, November 8, 2019.
If you haven’t been accepted:
- There is an appeal process if you would like to appeal the committee’s decision, or you may simply reapply next year (if applicable).
- You may only sign up for an appeal if you submitted an application.
- If you would like to appeal you need to sign up for an appeal conference that will take place before and after school October 16-18 and October 21-23.
- See Ms. Hodge room 4-108 to schedule a 5-minute appeal conference and receive instructions about what to do next.
NHS members must maintain a weighted GPA of 3.5 and unweighted GPA of 3.0, have no disciplinary referrals, and fulfill volunteer obligations (See “Volunteer requirements” below). Members are expected to attend every meeting, held on the first Tuesday of each month, as this is the time when important news and volunteer events will be announced. For further information on member obligations, a more detailed version of the bylaws can be accessed below.
Volunteer Requirements 2019-2020
- Current Senior NHS Members inducted in Fall of 2018
- To be eligible for NHS honors at graduation, you must complete a minimum of 10 total volunteer hours from NHS chapter service projects before January 1, 2020.
- New Senior NHS Members inducted in Fall 2019
- To be eligible for NHS honors at graduation, you must complete a minimum of 7 volunteer hours from NHS chapter service projects before March 30, 2020.
- New Junior NHS Members inducted in Fall 2019
- To be eligible to maintain membership, you must complete a minimum of 5 volunteer hours from NHS chapter service projects before May 1, 2020.
- Meetings are mandatory in order to maintain membership
- NHS monthly meetings occur on the first Tuesday of every month
- Meetings will be held in the teacher’s auditorium after school @ 2pm
- You will learn of new volunteer projects and procedures for the upcoming year
- If you are unable to attend meetings due to a conflicting school schedule with classes at SPC, you need to email a copy of your schedule to firstname.lastname@example.org to be excused from the semester’s meetings.
- If students cannot attend a meeting for an acceptable reason (illness, exc absence, or athletic function) you must notify Ms. Hodge at email@example.com at least 24 hours in advance.
NHS Senior 1st Semester Meeting Dates
- September 3
- October 1
- November 5
- December 3 (last meeting for “old seniors”)
NHS New Member 2nd Semester Meeting Dates
- January 7
- February 4
- March 3
- April 7 (last meeting for seniors – all hours due March 30)