Please help us acknowledge the awesome job the Key Club is doing this year. At the end of last school year, like all groups, their big trip was cancelled. Our students did not get to attend DCON, their major leadership conference held in Orlando every year. At this conference, key clubbers from all over Florida are recognized for their commitment to community service. They also attend workshops and training to prepare them for their offices/positions in the club.
Not only did they miss their conference and training, but of course the changes we’ve all had to make have certainly made an impact. Nonetheless, this group has done an outstanding job.
All of our officers started the year as MyPCS students. Most still are. Even so, they have taken control and led as a very organized and cohesive leadership team. They have found ways to stay active and to still give back despite all the challenges. They have shown more dedication, loyalty, and leadership skills than many adults. To see them grow and learn to manage/organize everything is inspiring. Mrs French says, "It is such an honor to serve as their Advisor."
Key Club International is the largest and oldest student-led community service leadership organization. It is open to all students in any grade level. Not only do they gain leadership skills that they carry through life; they can also earn community service hours for Bright Futures and other scholarships.
DHS Key Club is sponsored by Kiwanis of Dunedin. Ele Fox is our Kiwanis Advisor. We meet every Tuesday at 1:40 pm in Mrs. French's classroom (Room 06-09) and on Teams: Click here to join the meeting
Lucy Liu, President
Aryana Britt, Vice-President
Jassie Liu, Secretary
Tony Hernandez-Jaguey, Editor
Janela Rivera, Webmaster
Elisa Lopez-Espino, Sophmore Class Director
Gricelda Martinez – Dothe
Below are pictures from two (out of several) of their projects this year:
They collected donations and organized “blessing bags” to donate to local shelters.
DHS Key Club has adopted a mile of CR1 through the Keep Pinellas Beautiful program for the past 2 years.
Key Club International is a student-led service organization for high school students. It gives students opportunities to provide community service, build character and develop leadership skills. Here at DHS, we are sponsored by the Kiwanis Club of Dunedin.
What do they do? (A few examples)
- In September, at Kid’s Art Fest, our members helped to lead kids in various art projects.
- At Halloween Happenings on 10/26/2019, many of the booths were run by DHS Key Club (and Spanish Honor Society) members. They led the kids in games and gave out prizes/candy.
- They made dog toys to donate to a local animal shelter.
- Right now, you may see a few carrying little orange boxes. We are collecting donations for The Eliminate Project through Trick-or-Treat for UNICEF. The Eliminate Project’s main focus is to eliminate maternal and neonatal tetanus.
- Last weekend, they helped paint houses with Kiwanis and Habitat for Humanity.
- This year, they are helping to Keep Pinellas Beautiful with the Adopt a Mile Program. They have adopted a mile of CR1.
SCHEDULE: Meetings are held every Tuesday during lunch in Ms. French’s classroom 06-09 and on Teams! Meetings start at 1:40 pm. Students may attend meetings virtually using this link: https://bit.ly/37kirbq
CONTACT: Faculty Sponsor, Ashley French, firstname.lastname@example.org