K-12 STEM Department
K-12 STEM Department (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics)
The vision of the STEM Academies is to increase STEM opportunities for Pinellas County students. The intent of this increased exposure to STEM is for students to enroll themselves in accelerated STEM courses as they progress through middle and high school.
The mission of the STEM Academies is to offer students’ opportunities to conduct hands-on STEM investigations, explore careers in STEM, improve team building and leadership skills, learn about business planning and interact with community partners.
STEM Academy Program Overview
The K-12 STEM Department is run by the K-12 STEM Specialist who oversees the STEM Academy program. This free STEM Academy program impacts more than 5,300 students in 2 -12 grades from 100 participating schools. The program utilizes an extended school day to offer students opportunities to conduct hands-on engineering design challenges, explore careers in STEM, improve teambuilding and leadership skills, learn about business planning and interact with community and business partners. Over the past six years, the K-12 STEM Specialist has written and received grant amounts from Duke Energy close to $1,000,000 used to fund a majority of the STEM Academies at the Title 1 schools.
The PCS Department of Assessment, Accountability and Research, found that a student participating in the STEM Academy program is 2 times more likely to pass the state Math FSA assessment and 4 times more likely to pass the state NGSSS Science EOC.
In addition to the 270+ STEM Academies, the K-12 STEM Specialist offers a yearly STEM Expo, where students participating in this program get to display their engineering design projects that they worked on throughout the year. During the month of June, the K-12 STEM Department offers 4 weeks of STEM Summer Camps.
To learn more, donate resources or become involved with the K-12 STEM Department, please contact:
Laura Spence, K-12 STEM Specialist
STEM Office: 727-588-6338
PCS K-12 STEM Dept's 2019 STEM Summer Camp Opportunities
STEM SUMMER CAMPS (students entering 2nd-7th grades during 19-20 school year, enrollment NOW available)
- Link to download 2019 STEM Summer Camp application packet: 2019 STEM Summer Camp Application Packet
- Online registration link (also found on pg. 4 of application packet): https://pcsb.revtrak.net/stem-summer-camp-registration/#/f/2019-stem-summer-camp
- Who: students entering 2nd-7th grades during the 19-20 school year, only 120 students per site, if there are enough students placed on the wait list there might be opportunities for an additional class to be opened.
- When/Where: 4-day camp (no camp on Friday's) offered during the 4 weeks in June, same content offered each week, grades 2-7 are offered at each site regardless of school location (elementary school or middle school)
Week 1: 6/3-6/6 Leila Davis Elementary
Week 2: 6/10-6/13 East Lake Middle
Week 3: 6/17-6/20 Ridgecrest Elementary
Week 4: 6/24-6/27 Tyrone Middle
- Hours: 8:00-3:30 Mon.-Thurs. (no camp on Friday's, pg. 2 of application packet identifies if before and after care are available at each site)
- Cost: $100 (includes a free PCS lunch each day)
STEM HONORS SUMMER CAMPS (students entering 8th-9th grades during 19-20 school year, enrollment NOW available)
- Link to download 2019 STEM Honors Summer Camp application packet: 2019 STEM Honors Summer Camp Application Packet
- Online registration link (also found on pg. 3 of application packet): https://pcsb.revtrak.net/stem-summer-camp-registration/
- Who: students entering 8th-9th grades during the 19-20 school year, only 60 students per site
- When/Where: 8-day camp 6/10-6/13 and 6/17-6/20 (no camp on Friday's)
East Lake Middle
- Hours: 8:00-3:30 Mon.-Thurs. (no camp on Friday's and no before or after care available)
- Cost: $150 (includes lunch for 8 days, 2 field trips and a t-shirt)
K-12 STEM Dept's 6th Annual STEM Expo April 27 2019 (FREE)
19-20 FREE STEM Academy Program Application Details
If you are interested in enrolling your Pinellas County public school child (goverened by the PC School Board) into one of the FREE before or after-school STEM Academies run by the PCS K-12 STEM Department during the 2019-2020 school year, please read through the details below.
- The FREE STEM Academy program is offered to students in 2 through 12 grades. Since this is a FREE program, space is limited to only 20 students per academy and wait lists will be available at each school for each individual STEM Academy.
- All PCS STEM Academies start the 1st week in October and run through the last week in April. Academies meet either before or after school, once per week for 60 minutes. Applications will identify the name of the STEM Academy teacher, the day of the week the academy will be held, as well as the start and stop times.
- The STEM Academy student applications for the 19-20 school year will be available during the month of September 2019. Information pertaining to enrollment processes will be postd on this website during the month of Setpember 2019.
- To view a list of schools who host STEM Academies during the 18-19 school year, please view the following document: STEM Academy Site Offerings