Home Education Steps to Register
Governor DeSantis and the Department of Education extended a directive requiring all school districts in the state of Florida to close for students until April 15. This is a fluid situation and in an effort to keep families and students safe our offices are working remotely. We will continue to do our best to provide guidance and services to all of our home education and charter school families and school. Thank you for your continued support as we work together to ensure our students stay safe, healthy and continue their learning.
Please note the following updates:
All Home Education Evaluations due on or before April 30, 2020 will have an extension due date of May 31, 2020. This date may change depending on the situation with COVID-19 moving forward. Please make arrangements to provide evaluations to our office by May 31, 2020 until further notice.
At this time, our email is the most effective and efficient means of communication. If you have questions or concerns, please email our office staff at CSHE@pcsb.org. We will respond to your email as quickly as possible.
If you are submitting a NOTICE of INTENT to Register for Home Education, please email the notice to the above email address and provide an email address on the form. We may not have access to the US Postal Service and if an email is provided, we will email your letter of acceptance once the Notice of Intent is processed.
Steps to Register for Home Education
1. The parent/guardian submits a notice of intent to establish and maintain a home education program to Pinellas County School’s Superintendent or designee (Home Education Office).Notice of Intent ~PCS Form ~Notice of Intent
2. The parent/guardian completes all sections of the Notice of Intent and mails it to the superintendent's or designee’s (Home Education Office) within 30 days of the establishment of a Home Education Program. The address is included on the form or you may fax to 727-588-5038. Due to COVID-19, UNTIL Further notice please send your NOTICE of INTENT to CSHE@pcsb.org. Please provide your email address on the NOTICE of INTENT as we may not have access to US Postal Service to mail your letter of acceptance. If an email is provided, we will email the acceptance letter to you.
3. On your start date the Pinellas County Home Education office will mail a letter of acceptance to you. Please keep this document in your home education file.
4. The parent/guardian researches, identifies and purchases curriculum and materials to use for the home education program.
5. The parent/guardian prepares the child’s portfolio, educational log and decides which assessment method will be used for the required yearly evaluation. (See the copy of Florida Statutes related to home education for further details).
There are parent volunteer support groups for home educators. If you would like information regarding meetings and home educating ideas, please call the numbers listed below or visit below.
Florida Parent Educators Association Toll Free 1-877-275-3732
Pinellas Parent Educators AssociationThe Fellowship of Christian Homeschoolers (FCH)
www.fellowshipofchristianhomeschoolers.com www.fellowshipofchristianhomeschoolers.comCatholic HomeschoolersPat Lancaster 727-399-2343
It is the responsibility of the home education parent/guardian to provide all learning materials. Pinellas County Schools does not provide textbooks, instructional materials or assistance in the teaching of home education children. If you decide to use Florida Virtual Home School as your curriculum choice, please understand that this program does not issue a diploma. You may review PCS student expectations at our web site www.pcsb.org.
If your child has numerous absences from the previous school he/she attended then you will be required to attend Home Education portfolio review sessions as pursuant to Florida Statue 103.26.
In the event you choose to enter a home school program and in the future your child reenters a public school; it will be the responsibility of Pinellas County Schools to determine placement and credits accepted according to Policy 5.12. Please notify this office in writing if you no longer are home educating. We will then update your file and not request future evaluations.
Information on dual enrollment, extra-curricular activities requirements and acceptance of credits is also included in this website to assist you in your efforts in becoming familiar with home education processes and requirements.
Wishing you success in your educational endeavors.Still not sure home education is the best educational endeavor for your child? You may want to investigate several other educational settings such as:• PCS Virtual School for grades K–12 which can be accessed on PCSB website under schools.
• Dropout Prevention has many programs available please call 588-6069.