K-12 STEM Department
K-12 STEM Department (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics)
The vision of the STEM Academies is to increase STEM opportunities for Pinellas County students. The intent of this increased exposure to STEM is for students to enroll themselves in accelerated STEM courses as they progress through middle and high school.
The mission of the STEM Academies is to offer students’ opportunities to conduct hands-on STEM investigations, explore careers in STEM, improve team building and leadership skills, learn about business planning and interact with community partners.
STEM Academy Program Overview
The K-12 STEM Department is run by the K-12 STEM Specialist who oversees the STEM Academy program. This free STEM Academy program impacts more than 5,300 students in 2 -12 grades from 100 participating schools. The program utilizes an extended school day to offer students opportunities to conduct hands-on engineering design challenges, explore careers in STEM, improve teambuilding and leadership skills, learn about business planning and interact with community and business partners. Over the past six years, the K-12 STEM Specialist has written and received grant amounts from Duke Energy close to $1,000,000 used to fund a majority of the STEM Academies at the Title 1 schools.
The PCS Department of Assessment, Accountability and Research, found that a student participating in the STEM Academy program is 2 times more likely to pass the state Math FSA assessment and 4 times more likely to pass the state NGSSS Science EOC.
In addition to the 270+ STEM Academies, the K-12 STEM Specialist offers a yearly STEM Expo, where students participating in this program get to display their engineering design projects that they worked on throughout the year. During the month of June, the K-12 STEM Department offers 4 weeks of STEM Summer Camps.
To learn more, donate resources or become involved with the K-12 STEM Department, please contact:
Laura Spence, K-12 STEM Specialist
STEM Office: 727-588-6338
18-19 FREE STEM Academy Student Applications Now Available -Deadline to Apply 9/11
If you are interested in enrolling your Pinellas County public school child (goverened by the PC School Board) into one of the FREE before or after-school STEM Academies run by the PCS K-12 STEM Department, please read through the details below.
- The FREE STEM Academy program is offered for students in 2 through 12 grades. Since this is a FREE program, space is limited to only 20 students per academy and wait lists will be available.
- Applications will be available at your child's school during the week of August 20, 2018. Individual schools will determine how applications will be shared with families (i.e., posted on school website, handed out by teachers).
- All applications need to be handed to the STEM Academy teacher at your child's school by 12pm on September 7, 2018.
- Students will be selected through the use of a random lottery maintaing a 10 female and 10 male ratio (or as close as possible). Families will be notified of their child's acceptence or wait list status during the week of September 10, 2018.
- All PCS STEM Academies start the 1st week in October and run through the week of April 22nd. Academies meet either before or after school, once per week for 60 minutes. Applications will identify the name of the STEM Academy teacher, the day of the week the academy will be held as well as the start and stop times.