K-12 STEM Department
K-12 STEM Department (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics)
To prepare students to excel in STEM fields of study and succeed in careers as leaders and innovators.
To offer students’ opportunities to conduct hands-on STEM investigations, explore careers in STEM, improve team building and leadership skills, learn about business planning and interact with community partners.
STEM Academy Program Overview
The K-12 STEM Department is run by the K-12 STEM Specialist who oversees the STEM Academy program. This free STEM Academy program impacts more than 5,000 students in 2 -12 grades from 100 participating schools. The program utilizes an extended school day to offer students opportunities to conduct hands-on engineering design challenges, explore careers in STEM, improve teambuilding and leadership skills, learn about business planning and interact with community and business partners. Over the past six years, the K-12 STEM Specialist has written and received grant amounts from Duke Energy close to $1,000,000 used to fund a majority of the STEM Academies at the Title 1 schools.
The PCS Department of Assessment, Accountability and Research, found that a student participating in the STEM Academy program is 2 times more likely to pass the state Math FSA assessment and 4 times more likely to pass the state NGSSS Science EOC.
In addition to the 260+ STEM Academies, the K-12 STEM Specialist offers a yearly STEM Expo, where students participating in this program get to display their STEM projects that they worked on throughout the year. During the month of June, the K-12 STEM Department offers a series of STEM Summer Camps.
To learn more, donate resources or become involved with the K-12 STEM Department, please contact:
Laura Spence, K-12 STEM Specialist
2020-2021 FREE After School STEM Academy Program Application Details
FREE After School STEM Academy Program
If you are interested in enrolling your Pinellas County public school child (governed by the P.C. School Board) into one of the FREE after school STEM Academies run by the PCS K-12 STEM Department during the 2020-2021 school year, please read through the details below.
- The STEM Academy program is available to students in 2 through 12 grades. Since this is a FREE program, space is limited to only 20 students per STEM Academy and waitlists will be available at each school for each individual STEM Academy. Selection of students will be determined by a random lottery process thus providing accessibility for any interested student.
- The P.C.S. STEM Academy Program will start the 1st week in November and run through the week of May 17th.
- STEM Academies meet after school, once per week for 60 minutes on the same day each week (identified by the STEM Academy teacher). Some teachers elect to host their STEM Academy before school and some elect to host their academy on a bi-weekly basis for 120 minutes (every other week).
- 2020-2021 STEM Academy Student Applications will become available in early October 2020. Notification of the application release date will be posted on this P.C.S. K-12 STEM district website.
- The STEM Academy Program will be held in-person on school sites. All state and local social distancing guidelines will be followed. Information related to social distancing guidelines pertaining to the STEM Academy Program will be outlined in the 2020-2021 STEM Academy Student Application.
- The annual K-12 STEM Department's STEM Expo will be held on Saturday, May 15th (additional details to follow later in the year).