The K-12 Reading Plan is a comprehensive researched-based document that districts must write to receive funding. Each document is written to ensure that:
- Leadership at the district and school level is guiding and supporting the initiative.
- The analysis of data drives all decision-making.
- Professional development is systematic throughout the district and is targeted at individual teacher needs as determined by analysis of student performance data.
- Measurable student achievement goals are established and clearly described.
- Appropriate research-based instructional materials and strategies are used to address specific student needs.
- Provide for an additional hour per day of intensive reading instruction beyond the normal school day for each day of the entire school year for the students in each of the 100 lowest-performing elementary schools based on the state reading assessment.