Voluntary Prekindergarten (VPK)
The Late Application Period starts Feb. 13, 2023
Prekindergarten YouTube and Facebook Live Event: "The ABCs of PreK: Enrolling in Prekindergarten For 3 and 4 Year Olds"
Early childhood education experts explained the application process and answered questions. If you missed the live event or want a refresher, you can watch the presentation:
- YouTube Link: https://youtu.be/y72MlyUKcrE
- Facebook Link: https://fb.me/e/22fXDCjAw
Voluntary Prekindergarten (VPK) is a free, state-funded program that prepares children for kindergarten. Children must be 4 years old on or before Sept. 1 of the school year in which they are enrolling.VPK provides developmentally appropriate activities in literacy, language, science, social studies, math, health, safety, art and music. VPK helps children develop skills they need to be strong readers, improving their chances of success in school. Most classes have 18 to 20 students and are staffed by a certified teacher and a child development associate. Some classes are blended to include students who receive exceptional student education services. Follow your child’s development using the FOURS Child Development Checklist & Tips booklet.
Questions about VPK? Call 727-588-6513
2023-2024 Tuition - New Info
- VPK is a free, 540 hour program during the school year that is available at many elementary schools. Students attend free for three hours each day, Monday through Friday.
- VPK + 3 extends the VPK day an additional 3 hours so students attend for the full 6-hour school day. Tuition is $65 per week with a $65 non-refundable registration fee that is applied to the last week's tuition.
- Six sites offer free full-day programs with a Certificate of Eligibility (voucher)
- NEW: Families who qualify for free or reduced-price meals according to the annual Florida Income Eligibility Guidelines will qualify for free full-day VPK.
- NEW: PreK 3 and full-day VPK will be free for children of all full-time PCS employees at our elementary school sites. Our Employee and Community Preschool sites at Largo and Countryside high schools will offer a discount to full-time PCS employees.
*Free full day programs with Certificate of Eligibility (voucher)
Apply for Voluntary PreKindergarten (VPK) for the 2023-24 School Year
To attend VPK, all students must have a Certificate of Eligibility (voucher) from the Early Learning Coalition. Starting Jan. 1, please visit https://elcpinellas.net/for-families/vpk to apply for the voucher. Families must have the voucher at the time of enrollment at the school. For information about the Certificate of Eligibility, please call the Early Learning Coalition at (727) 400-4411.
Initial Application Period
Nov. 28, 2022 – Dec. 14, 2022
Acceptance Period: Dec. 16- Jan. 13
Families can accept a seat in one of our schools for the 2023-2024 school year. Log back into reservation.pcsb.org to see the accepted application. You must accept an invitation to keep a seat.
Apply for a Certificate of Eligibility starting Jan 1
If you are interested in VPK, you will also need to apply for a Certificate of Eligibility (VPK voucher) from the Early Learning Coalition.
Complete the enrollment process at your assigned school: Jan. 23 - Feb. 3
Bring the following required documents to your assigned school:•Certificate of Eligibility (voucher)•Birth certificate/proof of child's age•Florida Certificate of Immunization (DH Form 680)•Physical examination certificate signed by a licensed examiner•Proof of Florida residency (two forms of documentation required)
Late Application Period
Begins Feb. 13, 2023
Get your User ID and Password
Go to any nearby school to obtain a User ID and Password (if you don’t already have one for another child in your family). Please be sure to bring a government-issued photo ID.
Apply for a VPK seat
Log onto the Student Reservation System (SRS) which can be accessed at reservation.pcsb.org . You may use any computer, including school computers to apply for a seat.
Enroll at the school
Schools will call if they have an opening. To enroll, bring the following required documents to the school:
- Certificate of Eligibility (voucher)
- Birth certificate/proof of child's age
- Florida Certificate of Immunization (DH Form 680)
- Physical examination certificate signed by a licensed examiner
- Proof of Florida residency (two forms of documentation required)
2023-2024 VPK School Sites
Bay Point Elementary
Bear Creek Elementary
Brooker Creek Elementary
Campbell Park Elementary*
Cross Bayou Elementary
Curlew Creek Elementary
Cypress Woods Elementary
Fairmount Park Elementary*
Forest Lakes Elementary
Highland Lakes Elementary
High Point Elementary
Kings Highway Elementary*
Lake St. George Elementary
Little Cougars @ Countryside High
Little Packers @ Largo High
McMullen Booth Elementary
Mildred Helms Elementary
Mt. Vernon Elementary
New Heights Elementary
North Shore Elementary
Orange Grove Elementary
Pinellas Central Elementary
Pinellas Park Elementary
Ponce de Leon Elementary
Safety Harbor Elementary
San Jose Elementary
Sawgrass Lake Elementary
Seventy-fourth Street Elementary
Shore Acres Elementary
Southern Oak Elementary
Sunset Hills Elementary
Tarpon Springs Elementary