Voluntary Prekindergarten (VPK)
The Late Application Period is open
Voluntary Prekindergarten (VPK) is a free, state-funded program that prepares children for kindergarten. Children must be 4 years old on or before Sept. 1 of the school year that they are enrolling.VPK provides developmentally appropriate activities in literacy, language, science, social studies, math, health, safety, art and music. VPK helps children develop the skills they need to be strong readers, improving their chances of success in school. Most classes have 18 to 20 students and are staffed by a certified teacher and a child development associate. Some classes are blended to include students who receive exceptional student education services. Follow your child’s development using the FOURS Child Development Checklist & Tips booklet.
Questions about VPK? Call 727-588-6513
How to Apply for Voluntary PreKindergarten (VPK) for the 2024-25 School Year
To attend VPK, all students must have a Certificate of Eligibility (voucher) from the Early Learning Coalition. Please visit elcpinellas.org to apply for the voucher. Families must have the voucher at the time of enrollment at the school. For information about the Certificate of Eligibility, please call the Early Learning Coalition at (727) 400-4411.
APPLY FOR A SEAT:
Make sure you have a Parent Portal Account. You can create one by visiting focus.pcsb.org. To apply, visit focus.pcsb.org and access the “Student Reservation System” link on the left side of the navigation pane.
ENROLL AT ASSIGNED SCHOOL:
To enroll, bring the following documents to your assigned school:
- Certificate of Eligibility (voucher)
- Birth certificate/proof of child's age
- Florida Certificate of Immunization (DH Form 680)
- Physical examination certificate signed by a licensed examiner Proof of Florida residency (two forms of documentation required)
APPLY FOR A CERTIFICATE OF ELIGIBILITY:
Visit elcpinellas.org and complete the online application for a Certificate of Eligibility (voucher). For information, please call the Early Learning Coalition at (727) 400-4411.
2024-2025 Tuition Info
- VPK is a free, 540-hour program during the school year that is available at many elementary schools. Students attend free for three hours each day, Monday through Friday.
- VPK + 3 extends the VPK day an additional 3 hours so students attend for the full 6-hour school day. Tuition is $100 per week with a $100 non-refundable registration fee.
- Six sites offer free full-day programs with a Certificate of Eligibility (voucher)
- Families who qualify for free or reduced-price meals according to the annual Florida Income Eligibility Guidelines will qualify for free full-day VPK.
- PreK 3 and full-day VPK will be free for children of all full-time PCS employees at our elementary school sites. Our Employee and Community Preschool sites at Largo and Countryside high schools will offer a discount to full-time PCS employees.
*Free full day programs with Certificate of Eligibility (voucher)
2024-2025 VPK School Sites
Bay Point Elementary
Bear Creek Elementary
Brooker Creek Elementary
Campbell Park Elementary*
Cross Bayou Elementary
Curlew Creek Elementary
Cypress Woods Elementary
Fairmount Park Elementary*
Forest Lakes Elementary
Highland Lakes Elementary
High Point Elementary
Kings Highway Elementary*
Lake St. George Elementary
Little Cougars @ Countryside High
Little Packers @ Largo High
McMullen Booth Elementary
Mildred Helms Elementary
Mt. Vernon Elementary
New Heights Elementary
North Shore Elementary
Orange Grove Elementary
Pinellas Central Elementary
Pinellas Park Elementary
Ponce de Leon Elementary
Safety Harbor Elementary
San Jose Elementary
Sawgrass Lake Elementary
Seventy-fourth Street Elementary
Shore Acres Elementary
Southern Oak Elementary
Sunset Hills Elementary
Tarpon Springs Elementary