Diabetes Prevention Program
The Program Goals Include:
Program Qualification Include:
- Reduce body weight by 7%
- Increase physical activity to 150 minutes per week, which can be achieved in small amounts most days of the week.
(Individuals who are already diagnosed with either Type 1 or Type 2 Diabetes do not qualify for this program but do qualify for the Diabetes CARE program. Diabetics should contact Gina DeOrsey at (727) 588-6137 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.)How You Benefit:
- Overweight (BMI greater than or equal to 25, or 22 for Asian individuals)
- At risk for developing Type 2 diabetes
- Or diagnosed with Prediabetes
The Commitment:Once enrolled, you are required to pay $50, which will be refunded to you in the form of a $50 Publix gift card when you complete the program and have attended 12 out of the initial 16 sessions. You will also receive 16 component points and 350 Go365 points if you attend the minimum of 12 sessions. Those who do not attend a minimum of 12 sessions will forfeit their initial $50 payment.Testimonials from previous sessions:"I am off all of my cholesterol medicine (low fat diet!), rarely take my arthritis medication for foot pain (yes, the weight off my feet helped that!). I can now fit into all of my clothes! My doctor even called me to congratulate me on my weight loss! I learned so much with this program and knowing it has researched evidence of success, I wanted to give it a try. Trust me, I have done Jenny Craig and Weight Watchers in the past! I think this program is the most doable I have every seen. No special food to buy, no costly meetings, no pills and vitamins to take, but a healthy lifestyle! Each week gives you tips for success, weekly weigh in's and a motivated Natasha kept me on track! While on this program I was on a 5 day cruise, have gone to multiple birthday parties and holidays. I have had my sons here for a week each at a time with their families while doing this program and go out to eat a- lot with friends and my husband..! I loved the fact that we got the YMCA membership as a bonus too! I would like to lose about 5 more pounds, but I can do this! If you have your health...mental, physical and spiritual you have everything!" Dana - 17 lbs lost, 8.2% body weight
- Take control of your health and your life
- Earn 16 component points and 350 Go365 Points
- Take part in a research based program that has shown to reduce the number of new diabetic cases by nearly 60%.
- Save $379 by committing to take the class through PCS rather than paying for the class on your own.
- Learn how to eat healthier, increase your physical activity and lose weight.
- FREE YMCA gym membership during the initial 16-week portion of the program.
- Meet others in a small supportive classroom setting who are prediabetic and facing similar challenges what you are.
"I was glad I did the program, it helped motivate me and get healthy the right way. Having access to use the YMCA Gym. The teacher (Janice) was great, she knows her stuff. Having fellow staff members in the same boat, knowing that we are not in this alone, It gave me the motivation to do my best, the feedback was great, learning from each person about what works for them and what doesn't work." Brian - 25 lbs. 11.5% body weight.
- For general program information, visit www.ymca.net/diabetes-prevention/
- PCS Contact-Dawn Handley, email@example.com 727-588-6151